Legati sentence example
- The occupants of certain sees by a kind of prescription became legates without special appointment, legati nati, as in the case of Canterbury.
- Four legati juridici (or simply juridici) of consular rank were appointed for Italy, who took over certain important judicial functions formerly exercised by local magistrates (cases of fideicommissa, the nomination of guardians).
- Subordinate to him were the legati pro consule, who were placed at the head of districts called dioceses.
- Above all, he was determined that the empire should be governed in the true sense of the word and no longer exploited by its rulers, and he kept a strict control over the legati, who, under the form of military subordination, were responsible to him for the administration of their provinces.
- The nuncios are of lower rank than the legati a latere, but have practically superseded them as ambassadors of the papacy.Advertisement
- For the making of the survey each county was visited by a group of royal officers (legati), who held a public inquiry, probably in the great assembly known as the county court, which was attended by representatives of every township as well as of the local lords.