Lefort sentence example
- His handsome looks and smart sallies attracted the attention of Francois Lefort, Peter's first favourite, who took him into his service and finally transferred him to the tsar.
- On the death of Lefort in 1699, Menshikov succeeded him as prime favourite.
- In Peter's grand embassy to the West in 1697 Golovin occupied the second place immediately after Lefort.
- On Lefort's death, in March 1699, he succeeded him as admiral-general.
- A very full account of these tables, with an explanation of the methods of calculation, formulae employed, &c., was published by Lefort in vol.Advertisement
- The printing of the table of natural sines was once begun, and Lefort states that he has seen six copies, all incomplete, although including the last page.
- Babbage compared his table with the Tables du Cadastre, and Lefort has given in his paper just referred to most important lists of errors in Vlacq's and Briggs's logarithms of numbers which were obtained by comparing the manuscript tables with those contained in the Arithmetica logarithmica of 1624 and of 1628.
- He now found a new friend in the Swiss adventurer, Francois Lefort, a shrewd and jovial rascal, who not only initiated him into all the mysteries of profligacy (at the large house built at Peter's expense in the German settlement), but taught him his true business as a ruler.
- It was, however, the disreputable Lefort who, for the sake of his own interests, diverted the young tsar from mere pleasure to serious enterprises, by persuading him first to undertake the Azov expedition, and then to go abroad to complete his education.
- On the 10th of March 1697 this embassy, under the leadership of Lefort, set out on its travels.Advertisement
- John Thomson of Greenock (1782-1855) made an independent calculation of logarithms of numbers up to 120,000 to 12 places of decimals, and his table has been used to verify the errata already found in Vlacq and Briggs by Lefort (see Monthly Not.
- A full account of this method as applied to the calculation of the Tables du Cadastre is given by Lefort in vol.