Lecons sentence example
- In the work just mentioned few details are given; but even the more elaborate classification of birds contained in his Lecons d'anatomie comparee of 1805 is based wholly on external characters, such as had been used by nearly all his predecessors; and the Regne Animal of 1817, when he 1 This was reprinted in 5882 by the Willughby Society.
- The first, second and third sections of this publication comprise respectively the papers communicated by him to the Academies of Sciences of Turin, Berlin and Paris; the fourth includes his miscellaneous contributions to other scientific collections, together with his additions to Euler's Algebra, and his Lecons elementaires at the Ecole Normale in 1795.
- Besides the separate works already named are Resolution des equations numeriques (1798, 2nd ed., 1808, 3rd ed., 1826), and Lecons sur le calcul des fonctions (1805, 2nd ed., 1806), designed as a commentary and supplement to the first part of the Theorie des fonctions.
- Orfila's chief publications are Traite des poisons, or Toxicologie ge'nerale (1813); Elements de chimie medicale (1817); Lecons de medecine legale (1823); Traite des exhumations juridiques (1830); and Recherches sur l'empoisonnement par l'acide arsenieux (1841).
- His lectures at Fontenoy have been published in two volumes entitled Lecons de psychologie appliquee a l'education, and Lecons de morale; those delivered at the Sorbonne are collected in L'Education dans l'universite (1892).Advertisement
- For accounts of Ray's system of classification, see Cuvier, Lecons hist.
- Benedictus, De observatione in pestilentia, 4to (Venice, 1 493); Nicolaus Massa, De febre pestilentia, 4to (Venice, 1556, &c.); Fioravanti, Regimento della peste, 8vo, Venice, 1556; John Woodall, The Surgeon's Mate, folio (London, 1639); Van Helmont, Tumulus pestis, 8vo (Cologne, 1644, &c.); Muratori, Trattato del governo della peste, Modena, 1714; John Howard, An Account of Lazarettoes in Europe, &c., 4to (London, 1789); Patrick Russell, A Treatise of the Plague, 4to (London, 1791); Thomas Hancock, Researches into the Laws of Pestilence, 8vo (London, 1821); Fodere, Lecons sur les epide'mies, &c., 4 vols.
- Andoyer, Lecons sur la theorie des formes et la geome'trie analytique superieure (Paris, 1900); Wieleitner, Theorie der ebenen algebraischen Kurven hoherer Ordnung (Leipzig, 1905).
- These are mainly embodied in his three great treatises, Cours d'analyse de l'Ecole Polytechnique (1821); Le Calcul infinitesimal (1823); Lecons sur les applications du calcul infinitesimal a la g'ometrie (1826-1828); and also in his courses of mechanics (for the Ecole Polytechnique), higher algebra (for the Faculte des Sciences), and of mathematical physics (for the College de France).
- Among his books are Chimie medicale (1864), Lecons ele'mentaires de chimie moderne (1867), Theorie des atomes dans la conception du monde (1874), La Theorie atomique (1878), Progres de l'industrie des matieres colorantes artificielles (1876) and Traiti de chimie biologique (1880-1885).Advertisement