Lavater sentence example
- Lavater was one of the most ardent admirers of Mendelssohn.
- Lavater was fired with the ambition to convert his friend to Christianity.
- Bonnet resented Lavater's action, but Mendelssohn was bound to reply, though opposed to religious controversy.
- The boldness of some of his ideas cost him some valuable friendships, as that of Jacobi, Lavater and even of his early teacher Hamann.
- He made several valuable acquaintances, among others Lavater and his brother-in-law Hartmann Rahn, to whose daughter, Johanna Maria, he became engaged.Advertisement
- Lavater (q.v.).
- The popular style, good illustrations and pious spirit pervading the writings of Lavater have given to them a popularity they little deserved, as there is no system in his work, which chiefly consists of rhapsodical comments upon the several portraits.
- With Lavater the descriptive school of physiognomists may be said to have ended, as the astrological physiognomy expired with De la Belliere.
- Moreau's edition of Lavater, in 1807, was somewhat along the same lines.
- On the second of these journeys he revisited Friederike in Sesenheim, saw Lili, who had married and settled in Strassburg, and made the personal acquaintance of Lavater in Zurich.Advertisement
- Walzel (2 vols., 1898-1899); Goethe and Lavater, edited by H Funck (1901); Goethe and Osterreich, edited by A.
- His biting wit involved him in many controversies with well-known contemporaries, such as Lavater, whose science of physiognomy he ridiculed, and Voss, whose views on Greek pronunciation called forth a powerful satire, Ober die Pronunciation der Schopse des alten Griechenlandes (1782).
- But before discussing this matter, we must follow out the consequences of Lavater's intrusion into Mendelssohn's affairs.
- Lavater would have said I lack the bump of paternity.