Latifondi sentence example
- Special contracts, known as colonie immovibili and colonie tern poranee are applied to the latifondi or huge estates, the owners of which receive half the produce, except that of the vines, olive-trees and woods, which he leases separately.
- Latifondi farms are very numerous in Sicily.
- These holdings are usually called feudi or latifondi.
- The system of extensive cultivation proper to the latifondi gives an annual average gross return of about 200 lire per hectare (£3, 4s.
- Almonds are freely cultivated, and they seem to be the only trees susceptible also of cultivation upon the latifondi together with grain.Advertisement
- The zone of the latifondi, or extensive culture, yields, besides wheat, nearly 8,000,000 bushels of barley and beans every year.
- A small but comparatively wealthy class - composed principally of the owners of latifondi - resides habitually in the large cities of the island, or even at Naples, Rome or Paris.