Largs sentence example
- of Lerwick, from which it is separated by the Sound of Bressay, in which Haakon V., king of Norway, anchored his galleys on the expedition that ended so disastrously for him at Largs (1263).
- Adjoining the cathedral are the ruins of the bishop's palace, in which King Haco died after his defeat at Largs in 1263.
- SIR THOMAS MAKDOUGALL BRISBANE (1773-1860), Scottish soldier and astronomer, was born on the 23rd of July 1 773 at Brisbane House, near Largs, in Ayrshire.
- A division of his army seems to have repulsed a large Scottish force at Largs (though the later Scottish accounts claim this battle as a victory), and, having won back the Norwegian possessions in Scotland, Haakon was wintering in the Orkneys, when he was taken ill and died on the 15th of December 1263.
- On the other hand, Haakon IV., king of Norway, at once to restrain the independence of his jarls and to keep in check the ambition of the Scottish kings, set sail in 1263 on a great expedition, which, however, ended disastrously at Largs.Advertisement
- Alexander, fourth steward, the eldest son of Walter, third steward, inherited by his marriage with Jean, granddaughter of Somerled, the islands of Bute and Arran, and on the 2nd of October 1263 led the Scots against Haakon IV., king of Norway, at Largs.
- at Largs (1263) corn pelled them to retire.
- LARGS, a police burgh and watering place of Ayrshire, Scotland.
- The battle of Largs, fought next day, was indecisive.
- In 1866, perhaps chiefly in acknowledgment of his services to transAtlantic telegraphy, Thomson received the honour of knighthood, and in 1892 he was raised to the peerage with the title of Baron Kelvin of Largs.Advertisement
- He died on the 17th of December 1907 at his residence, Netherhall, near Largs, Scotland; there was no heir to his title, which became extinct.
- Victorian Kitchen at Brodie Castle Open Curling Hall, a large mansion overlooking the seafront at Largs, was built in 1812.
- Elaine, former stripper Daphne Clarke in Neighbors, said: " I was born in Largs, Ayrshire.
- Elaine, former stripper Daphne Clarke in Neighbors, said: I was born in Largs, Ayrshire.