Laokoon sentence example
- He also found time for the studies which were ultimately to appear in the volume entitled Laokoon, and in fresh spring mornings he sketched in a garden the plan of Minna von Barnhelm.
- His friends there exerted themselves to obtain for him the office of keeper of the royal library, but Frederick had not forgotten Lessing's quarrel with Voltaire, and declined to consider his claims. During the two years which Lessing now spent in the Prussian capital, he was restless and unhappy, yet it was during this period that he published two of his greatest works, Laokoon, oder fiber die Grenzen der Malerei and Poesie (1766) and Minna von Barnhelm (1767).
- The aim of Laokoon, which ranks as a classic, not only in German but in European literature, is to define by analysis the limitations of poetry and the plastic arts.
- Blumner, Lessings Laokoon (1876, 2nd ed., 1880); H.
- Bell, and of Laokoon, Dramatic Notes and the Representation of Death by the Ancients, by E.Advertisement
- These limits required a new definition, and this he undertook in his still famous work, Laokoon (see the edition of Hugo Bliimner, Berlin, 1876, in which the subsequent criticism is collected).