Landsthing sentence example
- These four (none of whom, it will be observed, was of the nationality of either party in difference) chose for their umpire Professor Matzen, of Copenhagen, president of the Landsthing there.
- The king shares his power with the parliament (Rigsdag), which consists of two chambers, the Landsthing and the Folkething, but the constitution contains no indication of any difference in their attributes.
- The Landsthing, or upper house, however, is evidently intended to form the conservative element in the constitutional machinery.
- While the 114 members of the Folkething (House of Commons) are elected for three years in the usual way by universal suffrage, 12 out of the 66 members of the Landsthing are life members nominated by the crown.
- The remaining S4 members of the Landsthing are returned for eight years according to a method of proportionate representation by a body of deputy electors.Advertisement
- The members of these councils are elected on a system similar to that applied to the elections for the Landsthing.
- The members of the first chamber are elected by the landsthing, or representative bodies of the lan, and by the municipal councils of some of the larger towns.
- The elected representative body in each is the landsthing, which deliberates on the affairs of the lan and has a right to levy taxes.
- Among other duties, this body elects a representative to the upper house of parliament (landsthing) in Denmark; the people choose by vote a representative in the lower house (folkething).