Landsgemeinde sentence example
- In the principal square the Landsgemeinde (or cantonal democratic assembly) is held annually in the open air on the last Sunday in April.
- The document which alleges that this chapel was built by order of a "landsgemeinde" held in 1388, at which 114 men were present who had been personally acquainted with Tell, was never heard of till 1759.
- It sends one member (elected by the Landsgemeinde) to the federal Stcinderath and three to the federal Nationalrath (elected by a direct popular vote).
- It sends one member (named by the Landsgemeinde) to the federal Stdnderath, and one also to the federal Nationalrath, while it forms but a single administrative district, though divided into six communes.
- The Landsgemeinde is the supreme legislative authority, and elects both the executive (in Inner Rhoden composed of nine members and called Stdndeskommission, and in Ausser Rhoden of seven members and called Regierungsrath) and the president or Landammann; in each half-canton there is also a sort of standing committee (composed of the members of the executive and representatives from the communes - in Inner Rhoden one member per 250 or fraction over 125 of the population, and in Ausser Rhoden one member per 1000 of the inhabitants) which prepares business for the Landsgemeinde and decides minor matters; in Inner Rhoden it is named the Grossrath and in Ausser Rhoden the Kantonsrath.Advertisement
- As various old-fashioned ceremonies are observed at the meetings and the members each appear with his girded sword, the sight of a meeting of the Landsgemeinde is most striking and interesting.
- The oldest codes of the laws and customs of the land date from 1409 and 1 585, the original MS. of the latter (called the "Silver Book" from its silver clasps) being still used in Inner Rhoden when, at the close of the annual Landsgemeinde, the newly elected Landammann first takes the oath of office, and the assembled members then take that of obedience to him, in either case with uplifted right hands.