Lancasters sentence example
- Strictly speaking, none of the Lancasters after Thomas had any clear title either by grant or otherwise; such title as they had merged in the crown when Henry IV.
- Later it passed to William de Longespee, son of Henry II., to the Lancasters, to the protector Somerset (by grant of Henry VIII.) and then to the Rutlands, and Trowbridge is now a non-corporate town.
- All this unrest might well be ascribed to Lancasters want of ability, but he had also to bearwith less justicethe discontent caused by two years of famine and pestilence.
- Having the boy in her power, and being surrounded by the exiles of Lancasters faction, she set herself to plot against her husband, and opened up corn- Rebellion munications with the discontented in England.
- Lancasters strategy, in the early years of the renewed war, consisted mainly of attempts to wear down the force of France by devastating raids; he hoped to provoke the enemy Ch d to battle by striking at the heart of his realm, but of~,1,r.Advertisement
- Disarmed, however, by the dukes frank submission they wisely resolved not to push him to extremes, and the first council which was appointed to act for the new monarch was a sort of coalition ministry in which Lancasters followers as well as his foes were represented.
- Lancasters ad parlia- herents were turned out of the council; the persons meat of condemned in 1376 were declared incapable of serving in it; Alice Perrers was sentenced to banishment and forfeiture, and the little king was made to re pudiate the declaration whereby his uncle had quashed the statutes of 1376 by declaring that no act of parliament can be repealed save with parliaments consent.
- These were carried in aircraft (mainly Lancasters) of RAF photographic reconnaissance squadrons.