Lahej sentence example
- The main trade routes are: - to San'a, via Lahej, 227 m.; to Mocha and Hodeida, via Ta`izz, 299 m.; and to Makalla, via Nisab, 413 m.
- On July 20 of the same year reinforced Aden troops surprised the Turks at Sheikh `Othman, inflicted on them considerable loss and they retired to Lahej.
- of Lahej), inflicted considerable loss on it, and the Turkish pressure was relieved.
- The most important of these are Abu Arish, Bet el Fakih and Zubed in the western Tehama, the latter a thriving town of 20,000 inhabitants and the residence of a Turkish kaimakam; and Abyan and Lahej, the chief place of the independent Abdali tribe, in the southern Tehama.
- In the following century the Turks themselves relinquished their conquests in Yemen, and the sultan of Sana established a supremacy over Aden, which was maintained until the year 1735, when the sheikh of Lahej, throwing off his allegiance, founded a line of independent sultans.Advertisement
- During the World War, Turkey brought pressure to bear on certain of the tribes of the Aden Protectorate (see Arabia) and in July 1915 a Turkish army several thousand strong advanced on Lahej, the `Abdali capital (21 m.