Lafitau sentence example
- that Lafitau, a Jesuit missionary in North America, while inclined to take a mystical view of the secrets concealed by Iroquois myths, had also pointed out the savage element surviving in Greek mythology.5 Recent Mythological Systems. - Up to a very recent date students of mythology were hampered by orthodox traditions, and still more by ignorance of the ancient languages and of the natural history of man.
- Lafitau tells the same story as current among his Red Indian flock, except that the old witch and her son took the form of birds, not of hares.
- In Lafitau's tale the birds were wounded by the magic arrows of a medicine man, and the arrow-heads were found in the bodies of the human culprits.
- In the Iroquois myth (Lafitau, Mc urs des sauvages, 1724), a heavenly woman was tossed out of heaven, and fell on a turtle, which developed into the world.
- Our Bear was a bear, according to Charlevoix and Lafitau, among the North-American Indians; the Eskimo, ' Black Yajur-Veda and Satapatha-Brahmana; Muir, i.Advertisement