Lackland sentence example
- Holdsworth, A History of English Law (1903), and Kate Norgate, John Lackland (1902).
- He therefore set himself up in rivalry with John Lackland, youngest son of Henry II., and supported by Philip Augustus of France, and aided by William des Roches, seneschal of Anjou, he managed to enter Angers (18th of April 1199) and there have himself recognized as count of the three countships of Anjou, Maine and Touraine, for which he did homage to the king of France.
- He was given at an early age the nickname of Lackland because, unlike his elder brothers, he received no apanage in the continental provinces.
- Norgate's John Lackland (London, 1902); C. Petit-Dutaillis' Etude sur la vie et le regne de Louis VIII.
- Norgate's John Lackland (1902), W.Advertisement
- Rounds Feudal England and Geoffrey de Mandeville, and Miss Norgatcs England under the A ngevins and John Lackland.
- from the crusade; and his negotiations with his brother John Lackland, whom he acknowledged king of England in exchange for the cession of Normandy.
- Happily an accident which caused Richards death at the siege of Chalus, and the evil imbecility of his brother and sue- Philip cessor, John Lackland, brilliantly restored the fortunes Augustus of the Capets.
- The quarrel between John and his and John nephew Arthur of Brittany gave Philip Augustus Lackland.
- In 1213, John Lackland, having been in conflict with Innocent regarding the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury, had made submission and done homage for his kingdom, and Philip wished to take vengeance for this at the expense of the rebellious vassals of the north-west, and of Renaud and Ferrand, counts of Boulogne and Flanders, thus combating English influence in those quarters.Advertisement
- in Germany it brought about Ottos fall before Frederick II.; in England it introduced the great drama of 1215, the first act of which closed with Magna CartaJohn LaCkland being forced to acknowledge the control of his barons, and to share with them the power he had abused and disgraced.