Kircher sentence example
- But Buteo and Kircher have proved geometrically that, taking the cubit of a foot and a half, the ark was abundantly sufficient for all the animals supposed to be lodged in it.
- He was one of the earliest composers for stringed instruments, and Kircher has given one specimen of this class of his works in the Musurgia.
- Kircher was a man of wide and varied learning, but singularly devoid of judgment and critical discernment.
- The extracts from Grueber's narrative, given by Athanasius Kircher in his China illustrate (Amsterdam, 1667), are accompanied by a good drawing of Potala.
- Kircher's experimentum mirabile with the fowl and the chalk line succeeds best with the decerebrate hen.Advertisement
- In 1448-1450 Italy (Kircher), Germany (Lersch, from old chronicles), France and Spain, were ravaged by a plague supposed to have arisen in Asia, scarcely less destructive than the black death.
- In their numerous allusions to the subtle mercury, which the one makes when treating of a means of measuring time by the efflux of the metal, and the other in a treatise on the transit of the planet, we see traces of the school in which they served their first apprenticeship. Huygens, moreover, in his great posthumous work, Cosmotheoros, seu de terris coelestibus, shows himself a more exact observer of astrological symbols than Kircher himself in his Iter exstaticum.
- At present (Summer 2000 ), the project has digitized images of all Kircher's incoming correspondence and they are presently available online.
- In the 17th century, Athanasius Kircher wrote about the Egyptians and attempted to translate hieroglyphics, although his theories have since been overturned.