Kingo sentence example
- In two spiritual poets the advancement of the literature of Denmark took a further step. Thomas Kingo 6 (1634-1703) was the first who wrote Danish with perfect ease and grace.
- His Winter Psalter (1689), and the so-called Kingo's Psalter (1699), contained brilliant examples of lyrical writing, and an employment of language at once original and national.
- Kingo had a charming fancy, a clear sense of form and great rapidity and variety of utterance.
- The other great hymn-writer was Hans Adolf Brorson (1694-1764), who published in 1740 a great psalm-book at the king's command, in which he added his own to the best of Kingo's.
- Both these men held high posts in the church, one being bishop of Fiinen and the other of Ribe; but Brorson was much inferior to Kingo in genius.Advertisement