Kieft sentence example
- William Kieft was appointed director-general late in 1637, and in 1638 the Company abandoned its monopoly of trade in New Netherland and gave notice that all inhabitants of the United Provinces, and of friendly countries, might trade there subject to an import duty of io %, an export duty of 15%, and to the requirement that the goods should be carried in the Company's ships.
- But the freedom of trade promoted dangerous relations with the Indians, and an attempt of Kieft to collect a tribute from the Algonquian tribes in the vicinity of Manhattan Island and other indiscretions of this officer provoked Indian hostilities (1641-1645), during which most of the outlying settlements were laid waste.
- In August 1641 Kieft called an assembly of the heads of families in the neighbourhood of Fort Amsterdam to consider the question of peace or war.
- Kieft promised the concessions to gain the board's consent to waging war, but later denied its authority to exact promises from him and dissolved it.
- In May 1645 he was selected by the West India Company to supersede William Kieft as director of New Netherland.Advertisement
- The leading burghers were, however, soon alienated by his violent and despotic methods, by his defence of Kieft, and by his devotion to the interests of the company; the nine men became (as early as 1649, when they sent the famous Vertoogh, or Remonstrance, to the states-general asking for burgher government and other reforms) the centre of municipal discontent; and a bitter quarrel ensued.
- During the rule of Governor William Kieft, the Indians, disturbed by the encroachments of the settlers, assumed a hostile attitude.
- The actual occasion of the Indian outbreak was the massacre of a number of Tappan Indians in 1643 by soldiers acting under Kieft's orders.
- In the following year Governor Kieft, with the assistance of the Swedes, arrested the English and sent them back to New Haven.
- Kieft, P. Gassendis Erkenntnistheorie and seine Stellung zum Materialismus (1893) and "Gassendi's Skepticismus" in Philos.Advertisement