Kidney-shaped sentence example
- There remains one other important group, the so-called " kidney " cottons in which there are only long hairs, and the seed easily comes away clean as with " Sea Island," but, instead of each seed being separate, the whole group in each of the three compartments of the capsule is firmly united together in a more or less kidney-shaped mass.
- long with a rounded crenate outer edge and repeatedly forked veins; the sori (or masses of spore-capsules) are in the crenatures of the pinnules, and are protected by a kidney-shaped involucre.
- The order contains about fifty species in fifteen genera, twelve of which occur in fresh water while three are marine; and includes both floating and submerged forms. Hydrocharis floats on the surface of still water, and has rosettes of kidney-shaped leaves, from among which spring the flower-stalks; stolons bearing new leafrosettes are sent out on all sides, the plant thus propagating itself in the same way as the strawberry.
- 15), &c. Similarly the shape of the base may vary, when rounded lobes are formed, as in dog-violet, the leaf is cordate or heart-shaped; or kidney-shaped or reniform (fig.
- P. fimbriata has large flowers with peculiar fringe-like appendages, its kidney-shaped leaves resembling those of P. asarifolia, another hardy species, about 9 inches high, which bears similar white flowers without fringes.Advertisement
- S. pusilla has kidney-shaped leaves, and a corolla less deeply fringed.
- Though the two kinds G. scabra and G. manicata greatly resemble each other, the leaves of G. manicata are more kidney-shaped and attain a much larger size, often measuring 4 to 6 feet across.