Khons sentence example
- There may have been an earlier temple here, but the present structure, dedicated to the Theban triad of Ammon, Mut and Khons, was erected by Amenophis III.
- Ammon, Amen-RE, or Amenrasonther ("Ammon-Re king of the gods") was its deity, with his consort Mut and their child Khons.
- His consort was sometimes called Amaune (feminine of Amun), but more usually mother ": she was human-headed, wearing the double crown of Upper and Lower Egypt, and their son was Khons (Chon or Chons), a lunar god, represented as a youth wearing the crescent and disk of the moon.
- A great temple was built to at Karnak not later than the XVIIIth dynasty, and another to Khons not later than the XXth dynasty.
- But three new temples at Karnak, that of Month (Mentu), of Mut and a smaller one, all are due to this reign, as well as the long avenue of sphinxes before the temple of Khons; these indicate that the present Ramesside temple of Khon.s has superseded an earlier one of this king.Advertisement