Khedives sentence example
- The districts between the bridge, the Ezbekia and the Ismailia canal, are known as the Ismailia and Tewfikia quarters, after the khedives in whose reigns they were laid out.
- Of thissumover~94,ooo,ooo had been obtained from revenue and nearly 4,000,000 by the sale of the khedives shares in the Suez Canal to Great Britain.
- In other words, Egypt was burdened with a debt of 91,000,000 funded or floatingfor which she had no return, for even from the Suez Canal she derived no revenue, owing to the sale of the khedives shares.
- The Sudan was an integral part of the khedives dominions, and caused, even in ordinary times, a deficit of 200,000 to the Egyptian treasury.
- The practical result was that the khedives authority was limited to the Nile valley north of Wadi Haifa.Advertisement
- In 1881 a fanatic sheikhknown as the mahdihad headed an insurrection against the khedives authority; and towards the close of 1883 an Egyptian army under an Englishman, Colonel Hicks, was annihilated by the mahdis followers.