Kenesaw sentence example
- As the commander of a brigade he served with particular distinction in the battles of Kenesaw Mountain (June 29 - July 3, 1864), Peach Tree Creek (20th of July 1864) and Nashville (15th-16th of December 1864).
- After several preliminary engagements Sherman on the 26th and 27th of June made repeated unsuccessful attempts to drive the Confederates from their defences at Kenesaw Mountain; he then resorted to a flanking movement which forced the Confederate general to retire (July 2) toward Atlanta.
- At the head of a hundred thousand men he showed, besides the large grasp of strategy which planned the Carolinas march, besides the patient skill in manoeuvre which gained ground day by day towards Atlanta, the strength of will which sent his men to the hopeless assault of Kenesaw to teach them that he was not afraid to fight, and cleared Atlanta of its civil population in the face of a bitter popular outcry.
- The neighbourhood of Marietta witnessed for the next fortnight very heavy fighting, notably at Pine Mountain on the 14th and Kenesaw on the 27th, both actions being frontal assaults gallantly pushed home and as gallantly repulsed.
- He was in command of his army at the actions of Resaca, Dallas,Kenesaw Mountain and the battles about Atlanta.Advertisement