Keate sentence example
- Keate (1814-1873) became lieutenant-governor, a post which he filled until 1872.
- A more famous decision, that known as the Keate Award, was given in October 1871.
- The award, admittedly just on the evidence before Keate, placed, however, outside the territory of the republic the Bloemhof district, in which district Boer farmers were settled, and over which the Pretoria government had for some years exercised jurisdiction.
- A few days after the publication of the Keate award Sir Henry Barkly, the British high commissioner, issued proclamations taking over Waterboer's territory under the title of Griqualand West (q.v.).
- A year after the addition of the Conquered Territory to the state another boundary dispute was settled by the arbitration of Mr Keate, lieutenant-governor of Natal.Advertisement
- Keate, lieutenant-governor of Natal, and his award placed Montsioa's territory outside the limits of the Transvaal.
- In 1870 a boundary dispute arose with the British government, which was settled by the Keate award (1871).
- The judges disagreed, and the final decision, afterwards known as the Keate award, was given by the referee on the 17th of October 1871.