Kearny sentence example
- A garrison of fifty men, left in control, was compelled in October to withdraw on account of a revolt of the inhabitants, and Los Angeles was not retaken until General Philip Kearny and Commodore Stockton entered the city on the 18th of January 1847.
- In Military Park is a monument to MajorGeneral Philip Kearny (1815-1862), and in Washington Park is a monument to Seth Boyden (1785-1870), a Newark inventor of malleable iron, of machinery for making nails, and of improvements in the steam-locomotive.
- Within the plaza are a monument to the soldiers who fell in New Mexico during the Civil War and the Indian wars, a stone marking the spot where the first American flag was raised by General Kearny in 1846, and a bronze drinking fountain erected as a memorial to John Baptist Lamy (1814-1888), the first Roman Catholic bishop (1853) and archbishop (1815) of Santa Fe.
- Also of interest are the Rosario chapel; the ruined earthworks of Fort Marcy, north of the city, constructed by General Kearny in 1846; the ruins of the Garita, an old Spanish fortification used as a custom house under the Mexican government; the so-called "oldest house," a dilapidated adobe structure claimed to be the oldest building, continuously inhabited, in the United States; the state library; and the national cemetery, in which 1022 American soldiers are buried.
- In the meantime General Stephen Watts Kearny (1794-1848) had been sent by the Government to conquer it and to establish a government.Advertisement
- This created a conflict of authority between Stockton and Kearny, both of whom were Fremont's superior officers.
- Stockton, ignoring Kearny, commissioned Fremont military commandant and governor.
- But Kearny's authority being confirmed about the 1st of April, Fremont, for repeated acts of disobedience, was sent under arrest to Washington, where he was tried by courtmartial, found guilty (January 1847) of mutiny, disobedience and conduct prejudicial to military discipline, and sentenced to dismissal from the service.
- For the latter reason the National Congress on the 19th of May 1846 authorized the construction at intervals along the trail of military stations for the protection of the emigrant trains, and Fort Kearny was built (1848) and Fort Laramie was purchased (1849).
- Fetterman and seventy-eight men from Fort Phil Kearny were ambushed and slain.Advertisement
- Kearny was ordered to undertake the conquest of New Mexico and California and to " establish temporary civil governments therein."
- Kearny reached Las Vegas on the 15th of August, assured the people of protection if they remained peaceable, and three days later entered Santa Fe without opposition.
- Other buildings of historic interest are the Parker Castle (c. 1729), a centre of Loyalist influence at the time of the War of Independence, and the Kearny Cottage, the home of "Madam Scribblerus," a halfsister of Captain James Lawrence.
- And my system will come back with a single answer, something like, You should go to Tommaso's on Kearny Street.
- They are usually parked on Sacramento between Montgomery and Kearny; but, you can follow them on Twitter.Advertisement