Kauffmann sentence example
- Mention may be made of the phenomenon of halochromism, the name given to the power of colourless or faintly-coloured substances of combining with acids to form highly-coloured substances without the necessary production of a chromophoric group. The researches of Adolf von Baeyer and Villiger, Kehrmann, Kauffmann and others, show that this property is possessed by very many and varied substances.
- (2) The chromophore-auxochrome theory (Kauffmann) regards colour as due to the entry of an " auxochrome " into a " chromophoric " molecule.
- Kauffmann (Ber., 1900, 33, p. 1 73 1; 1904, 35, p. 2 94; 1905, 3 8, p. 7 8 9; Ann., 1906, 344, p. 30) suggested that the property is due to the presence of at least two groups.
- The Evangelical parish church contains some fine statues by Christian Rauch, and the palace (built 1710-1720), in addition to a valuable library of 30,000 vols., a collection of coins and pictures, among the latter several by Angelica Kauffmann.
- Angelica Kauffmann worked long in Ireland; James Barry and Sir Martin Archer Shee were of Irish birth; and on the whole, considering the small number of educated inhabitants, it must be admitted that the Ireland of Flood and Grattan was intellectually fertile.Advertisement
- Kauffmann (Ber., 1906, 39, p. 1 959) attempted an evaluation of the effects of auxochromic groups by means of the magnetic optical constants.