Kapteyn sentence example
- C. Kapteyn A =18 h 14 m D = + 290.5.
- C. Kapteyn, with the result that it appears to be not even approximately accordant with the facts.
- For the higher magnitudes C. Kapteyn has.
- Thus Kapteyn found that the Bradley stars having proper motions greater than 5" per century were evenly distributed over the sky.
- One result of Kapteyn's investigations may be given here.Advertisement
- Kapteyn finds that magnitude for magnitude, the absolute brightness of the solar stars is only one-fifth of that of the Sirian stars, so that in the mean they must be at less than half the distance.
- C. Kapteyn at Groningen on plates taken by C. Ray Woods at the Cape observatory.
- C. Kapteyn and Simon Newcomb, to estimate, through the analysis of their proper motions, the " mean parallax " of stars assorted by magnitude.
- A wide photographic survey, by which parallaxes might be secured wholesale, has further been recommended by Kapteyn; but is unlikely to be undertaken in the immediate future.
- C. Kapteyn's inquiry in i 901; so that the range of uncertainty as to its position continues unsatisfactorily wide.Advertisement
- Yet this number, although it represents a portentous expenditure of labour, is insignificant compared with the multitude of the stellar throng; nor had any general tendency been discerned to regulate what seemed casual flittings until Professor Kapteyn, in 1904, adverted to the prevalence among all the brighter stars of opposite streamflows towards two " vertices " situated in the Milky Way (see Star).