Kapilavastu sentence example
- The four ancient sacred resorts are Kapilavastu, Gaya, Benares and Kusinagara.
- The pilgrim next entered on a circuit of the most famous sites of Buddhist and of ancient Indian history, such as Ajodhya, Prayaga (Allahabad), Kausambhi, Sravasti, Kapilavastu, the birth-place of Sakya, Kusinagara, his death-place, Pataliputra (Patna, the Palibothra of the Greeks), Gaya, Rajagriha and Nalanda, the most famous and learned monastery and college in India, adorned by the gifts of successive kings, of the splendour of which he gives a vivid description, and of which traces have recently been recovered.
- But the people of Kapilavastu were greatly delighted at the birth of the young heir, the raja's only grandson.
- There, on the sandy bank of the river, at a spot where later piety erected a dagaba (a solid dome-shaped relic shrine), he cuts off with his sword his long flowing locks, and, taking off his ornaments, sends them and the horse back in charge of the unwilling Channa to Kapilavastu.
- The Buddha accordingly started for Kapilavastu, and stopped according to his custom in a grove outside the town.Advertisement