Jurieu sentence example
- The great reputation achieved by this critique stirred the envy of Bayle's colleague, P. Jurieu, who had written a book on the same subject.
- In 1690 appeared a work entitled Avis important aux refugies, which Jurieu attributed to Bayle, whom he attacked with animosity.
- After completing his studies in Holland and England, Jurieu received Anglican ordination; returning to France he was ordained again and succeeded his father as pastor of the church at Mer.
- On the suppression of the academy of Sedan in 1681, Jurieu received an invitation to a church at Rouen, but, afraid to remain in France on account of his forthcoming work, La Politique du clerge de France, he went to Holland and was pastor of the Walloon church of Rotterdam till his death on the 11th of January 1713.
- Jurieu did much to help those who suffered by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes (1685).Advertisement
- Jurieu defended the doctrines of Protestantism with great ability against the attacks of Antoine Arnauld, Pierre Nicole and Bossuet, but was equally ready to enter into dispute with his fellow Protestant divines (with Louis Du Moulin and Claude Payon, for instance) when their opinions differed from his own even on minor matters.
- His theory of the state, despite Grotius and Jurieu, rejected as odious and even impious the notion of any popular rights, anterior and superior to his own.