Jumieges sentence example
- Stubbs, "Rolls" series, 2 vols., 1887-1889); William of Jumieges' Historia Normannorum (ed.
- Authorities.-(I) Principal Sources: The history of Anjou may be told partly with the aid of the chroniclers of the neighbouring provinces, especiall y those of Normandy (William of Poitiers, William of Jumieges, Ordericus Vitalis) and of Maine (especially Actus pontificum Cenomannis in urbe degentium).
- The island was in the possession of successive religious bodies from the Conquest (when it was given to the Benedictines of Jumieges, near Rouen), until the Dissolution.
- ROBERT OF JUMIEGES (d.
- c. 1070), archbishop of Canterbury, was a Norman who became prior of St Ouen at Rouen and then abbot of Jumieges.Advertisement
- He was outlawed and deposed, and he died at Jumieges about 1070.
- Between him and Edward's foreign favourites, particularly Robert of Jumieges, there was deadly feud.
- Her heart was buried in the abbey of Jumieges, her body in the collegiate church of Loches.
- In this year the archbishop of Canterbury, Robert of Jumieges, having been outlawed and driven from England, Stigand was appointed to the archbishopric; but, regarding Robert as the rightful archbishop, Pope Leo IX.
- But for the pre-Conquest period William had at his disposal the works of Bede, Ado of Vienne and William of Jumieges; one or more English chronicles similar to the extant " Worcester " and ' ` Peterborough " texts; Asser's life of Alfred, and a metrical biography of fEthelstan; the chronicles of S.Advertisement
- It has been ably dissected by Gustav KOrting (Ober die Quellen des Roman de Rou, Leipzig, 1867), who shows that it is mainly based upon Dudo and William of Jumieges.
- William of Jumieges' Historia Normannorum and William of Poitiers' Gesta Guilelmi.
- In addition to the Historia there exists, in the library at Rouen, a manuscript edition of William of Jumieges' Historia Normannorum which Leopold Delisle assigns to Orderic (see this critic's Lettre a M Jules Lair (1873).