Jumieges sentence example
- Authorities.-(I) Principal Sources: The history of Anjou may be told partly with the aid of the chroniclers of the neighbouring provinces, especiall y those of Normandy (William of Poitiers, William of Jumieges, Ordericus Vitalis) and of Maine (especially Actus pontificum Cenomannis in urbe degentium).
- The island was in the possession of successive religious bodies from the Conquest (when it was given to the Benedictines of Jumieges, near Rouen), until the Dissolution.
- He was outlawed and deposed, and he died at Jumieges about 1070.
- Between him and Edward's foreign favourites, particularly Robert of Jumieges, there was deadly feud.
- Her heart was buried in the abbey of Jumieges, her body in the collegiate church of Loches.Advertisement
- In this year the archbishop of Canterbury, Robert of Jumieges, having been outlawed and driven from England, Stigand was appointed to the archbishopric; but, regarding Robert as the rightful archbishop, Pope Leo IX.
- It has been ably dissected by Gustav KOrting (Ober die Quellen des Roman de Rou, Leipzig, 1867), who shows that it is mainly based upon Dudo and William of Jumieges.