Jovellanos sentence example
- The settlement was first named in honour of Ferdinand VII., and later in honour of Captain-General Jose Cienfuegos Jovellanos.
- Few of the buildings of Gijon are noteworthy for any architectural merit, except perhaps the 15th-century parish church of San Pedro, which has a triple row of aisles on each side, the palace of the marquesses of Revillajigedo (or Revilla Gigedo), and the Asturian Institute or Jovellanos Institute.
- It was founded in 1797 by the poet and statesman Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos (1744-1811).
- Jovellanos, a native of Gijon, is buried in San Pedro.
- It was in vain that Godoy sought to secure the friendship of the reforming party by giving office to two of its most prominent members, Jovellanos and Saavedra.Advertisement
- Jovellanos was compelled in August to retire on account of ill healththe result, it was rumouredof attempts on the part of his opponents to poison him.
- There were five cities having populations above 25,000 - Havana, 297,159; Santiago, 45,470; Matanzas, 36,009; Cienfuegos, 30,100; Puerto Principe (or Camaguey), 29,616; and fourteen more above 8000 - Cardenas, Manzanillo, Guanabacoa, Santa Clara, Sagua la Grande, Sancti Spiritus, Guantanamo, Trinidad, Pinar del Rio, San Antonio de los Banos, Jovellanos, Marianao, Caibarien and Gaines.