Josippon sentence example
- Megillath Esther, dating, to judge from its indebtedness to Josippon (the pseudo-Josephus), after 10th century.
- Josippon subsequently appeared in many forms, one of the most popular being in Yiddish (JudaeoGerman), with quaint illustrations.
- Though the chronicle is more legendary than historical, it is not unlikely that some good and even ancient sources were used by the first compiler, the Josippon known to us having passed through the hands of many interpolators.
- This led to the circulation of many editions of Josippon, which thus formed a link in the chain of events which culminated in the readmission of the Jews to England by Cromwell.
- Other works of a different kind also originated in Italy about this time: the very popular history of the Jews, called Josippon (probably of the 10th or even 9th century), ascribed to Joseph ben Gorion (Gorionides) 1; the medical treatises of Shabbethai Donnolo (loth century) and his commentary on the Sepher Ye,zirah, the anonymous and earliest Hebrew kabbalistic work ascribed to the patriarch Abraham.Advertisement