Jorisz sentence example
- Three years later, Nicolas Blesdijk, who had married his eldest daughter Jannecke (Susanna), but had lost confidence in Jorisz some time before his death, denounced the dead man to the authorities of Basel.
- An investigation was begun in March 1559, and as the result of a conviction for heresy the exhumed body of Jorisz was burned, together with his portrait, on the 13th of May 1559.
- Blesdijk's Historia (not printed till 1642) accuses Jorisz of having plures uxores.
- Theoretically Jorisz regarded polygamy as lawful; there is no proof that his theory affected his own practice.
- 'DAVID JORIS, the common name of JAN JoRisz or Joriszoon (c. 1501-1556), Anabaptist heresiarch who called himself later JAN VAN Brugge; was born in 1501 or 1502, probably in Flanders, at Ghent or Bruges.Advertisement