Jomini sentence example
- In December 1805 Napoleon, being much impressed by a chapter in Jomini's treatise, made him a colonel in the French service.
- In the Spanish campaign of 1808 his advice was often of the highest value to the marshal, but Jomini quarrelled with his chief, and was left almost at the mercy of his numerous enemies, especially Berthier, the emperor's chief of staff.
- For some years thereafter Jomini held both a French and a Russian commission, with the consent of both sovereigns.
- Berthier, however, not only erased Jomini's name from the list, but put him under arrest and censured him in army orders for failing to supply certain returns that had been called for.
- But the pretext for censure was trivial and baseless, and during the armistice Jomini did as he had intended to do in 1809 - To, and went into the Russian service.Advertisement
- It must be observed, in Jomini's defence, that he had for years held a dormant commission in the Russian army, that he had declined to take part in the invasion of Russia in 1812, and that he was a Swiss and not a Frenchman.
- In 1853, after trying without success to bring about a political understanding between France and Russia, Jomini was called to St Petersburg to act as a military adviser to the:tsar during the Crimean War.
- See Ferdinand Lecomte, Le General Jomini, sa vie et ses ecrits 0861; new ed.
- Pascal, Observations historiques sur la vie, &c., du general Jomini (1842).
- Ney thereupon made him his principal aide-de-camp. In 1806 Jomini published his views as to the conduct of the impending war with Prussia, and this, along with his knowledge of Frederick the Great's campaigns, which he had described in the Traite, led Napoleon to attach him to his own headquarters.Advertisement
- How far Jomini was held responsible for certain misunderstandings which prevented the attainment of all the results hoped for from Ney's attack (see Bautzen) there is no means of knowing.