John winthrop sentence example
- Three cemeteries remain intact - King's chapel burying ground, with the graves of John Winthrop and John Cotton; the Old Granary burial ground in the heart of the city, where Samuel Sewall, the parents of Franklin, John Hancock, James Otis and Samuel Adams are buried; and Copp's Hill burial ground, containing the tombs of the Mathers.
- Warner; of Samuel Adams by Anne Whitney; of John Winthrop and Benjamin Franklin by R.
- In 1630 the government of the company, with questionable right (for the charter seems evidently to have contemplated the residence of the company in England), transferred itself to their territory, and under the leadership of John Winthrop laid the foundations anew of the Massachusetts colony, when they first settled Boston in the autumn of that year.
- Men so moved so to act could hardly be commonplace; and so among them we find characters strong and marked, with equal ability to rule and to obey, as William Bradford (1590-1657) and Brewster, Edward Winslow (1595-1655) and Miles Standish (1584-1656), John Winthrop (1588-1649) and Dr Samuel Fuller, and men so inflexible in their love of liberty and faith in man as Roger Williams and young Harry Vane.
- On the death of John Winthrop in 1649 he became governor, and by annual re-elections served continuously until his death, with the exception of two years (1650-1651 and 1654-1655), when he was deputy-governor.Advertisement
- His biography has been written by Robert C. Winthrop, Life and Letters of John Winthrop (2 vols., Boston, 1864, 1867; new ed.
- Twichell, John Winthrop (New York, 1891).
- ROBERT CHARLES WINTHROP (1809-1894), American orator and statesman, a descendant of Governor John Winthrop (1588-1649), was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on the 12th of May 1809.
- Among his publications were Addresses and Speeches (Boston, 1852-1886); Life and Letters of John Winthrop (2 vols., Boston, 1864-1867); and Washington, Bowdoin and Franklin (Boston, 1876).1876).
- Edward Hopkins Thomas Welles John Webster John Winthrop Thomas Welles John Winthrop William Leete Robert Treat.Advertisement
- Fitz John Winthrop Gurdon Saltonstall Joseph Talcott Jonathan Law Roger Wolcott Thomas Fitch William Pitkin Jonathan Trumbull The New Haven Colony.