Johanan sentence example
- 8-10); and where Johanan went against Ishmael to avenge the murder of Gedaliah (Jer.
- Tobiah and his son Johanan were related by marriage to Judaean secular and priestly families, and active intrigues resulted, in which nobles and prophets took their part.
- Under Johanan ben Zaccai the Pharisees established themselves at Jamnia.
- In Jabneh (Jamnia), where during the siege of Jerusalem the scribes of the school of Hillel had taken refuge by permission of Vespasian, a new centre of Judaism arose under the leadership of the aged Johanan ben Zakkai, a school whose members inherited the authority of the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem.
- In the war with Rome he belonged to the peace party, and finding that the Zealots were resolved on carrying their revolt to its inevitable sequel, Johanan had himself conveyed out of Jerusalem in a coffin.Advertisement
- In the Roman camp the rabbi was courteously received, and Vespasian (whose future elevation to the imperial dignity Johanan, like Josephus, is said to have foretold) agreed to grant him any boon he desired.
- Johanan obtained permission to found a college at Jamnia (Jabneh), which became the centre of Jewish culture.
- Johanan solaced his disciples on the fall of the Temple by the double thought that charity could replace sacrifice, and that a life devoted to the religious law could form a fitting continuation of the old theocratic state.
- "Johanan felt the fall of his people more deeply than anyone else, but - and in this lies his historical importance - he did more than any one else to prepare the way for Israel to rise again" (Bacher).
- The Gemara is much indebted to this pair and to Johanan b.Advertisement
- According to Rabbi Johanan it derived its name from the allusion in v.