Jiilich sentence example
- It then passed to the counts of La Marck and was made a duchy in 1417, being united with the neighbouring duchies of Jiilich and Berg in 1521.
- It was here that a treaty over the succession to the duchy of Jiilich was made in March 1611 between Saxony and Brandenburg, and here in November 1644 the Swedes defeated the Imperialists.
- It is formed out of the former lordships of Dachstuhl and Oberstein, of part of the ancient countship of Sponheim, and sections of the duchy of Jiilich, which were granted to the grand-duke of Oldenburg by the congress of Vienna in 1815.
- The present Prussian Rhine province was formed in 1815 out of the duchies of Cleves, Berg, Gelderland and Jiilich, the ecclesiastical principalities of Trier and Cologne, the free cities of Aix-la-Chapelle and Cologne, and nearly a hundred small lordships and abbeys.
- Remagen (the Rigomagus of the Romans) originally belonged to the duchy of Jiilich.Advertisement
- The Hekeren supported Matilda, the Bronkhorsten William of Jiilich.
- In 1393 he inherited the duchy of Jiilich, and died in 1402.
- The district was raised in 1108 to the rank of a countship, but did not become a duchy till 1380, after it had passed into the possession of the Jiilich family.
- In 1423 the duchy of Jiilich fell to Adolf of Berg, and in 1437 the countship of Ravensberg was united to the duchies.
- It was settled in 1614 by a partition, under which Berg, with Jiilich, was assigned to the count palatine of Neuburg, in whose line it remained till 1742, when it passed to the Sultzbach branch of the house of Wittelsbach.Advertisement
- He distinguished himself again at Jiilich and at Aldenhoven, and stormed the lines of Coblenz on the 23rd of October.
- The opening on the 25th of March 1609 of the question of the succession of John William the Good, duke of Cleves, of Jiilich and of Berg, led Henry, in spite of his own hesitations and those of his German allies, to declare war on the emperor Rudolph II.
- The new elector, born on the 8th of November 1572, had married in 1594 Anna, daughter of Albert Frederick of Prussia, a union which not only strengthened the pretensions of the electors of Brandenburg to the succession in that duchy, but gave to John Sigismund a claim on the duchies of Cleves, Jiilich and Berg, and other Rhenish lands should the ruling family become extinct.