Jibuti sentence example
- (The proposal to build a railway from Zaila or Berbera to Harrar, which would have competed with the French line from Jibuti for the trade of southern Abyssinia, had been vetoed on grounds of general policy.) Before the withdrawal arrangements - more or less ineffective - were made for arming and organizing the tribes in the protectorate in their own defence.
- The only good harbour along the coast is at Jibuti.
- The chief town and seat of administration is Jibuti (q.v.), pop. about 15,000, which has taken the place of Obok, on the opposite (northern) side of the Gulf of Tajura.
- In 1897 the building of a railway from Jibuti towards Harrar was begun.
- The transference of the seat of government to Jibuti in May 1896 and the building of the railway to Harrar gave the protectorate a stability which it had previously lacked.Advertisement
- The town is in telegraphic communication with Massawa, Harrar and Jibuti.
- The Fashoda incident was the subject of important diplomatic negotiations, which at one time approached an acute phase; but ultimately the French position was found to be untenable, and on the 11th of December Marchand and his men returned to France by the Sobat, Abyssinia and Jibuti.
- Jibuti is situated at the entrance to and on the southern shore of the Gulf of Tajura about 150 m.
- Jibuti was founded by the French in 1888 in consequence of its superiority to Obok both in respect to harbour accommodation and in nearness to Harrar.
- Telegraph lines connect Adis Ababa and several important towns in northern Abyssinia with Massawa, Harrar and Jibuti.Advertisement
- - Abyssinia being without seaports, the external trade is through Massawa (Italian) in the north, Jibuti (French), Zaila and Berbera (British) in the south, and for all these ports Aden is a distributing centre.
- For Tigre and Amhara products Massawa is the best port, for the rest of the empire, Jibuti.
- Regarding the question of railways, the first concession for a railway from the coast at Jibuti (French Somaliland) to the interior was granted by Menelek to a French company in 1894.
- Absolute equality of treatment on the railway and at Jibuti was guaranteed to the commerce of all the Powers.
- For southern Abyssinia, Kaffa and Galla lands, Harrar is the great entrepot, goods being forwarded thence to Jibuti and the other Somaliland ports.Advertisement