Jay gould sentence example
- He became an associate of Jay Gould in the development and sale of railways; and in 1863 removed to New York City, where, besides speculating in railway stocks, he became a money-lender and a dealer in "puts" and "calls" and "privileges," and in 1874 bought a seat in the New York Stock Exchange.
- He worked with Jay Gould for the completion of the Wabash line, and at the time of his greatest stock activity bought The New York Evening Express and The Mail and combined them as The Mail and Express, which he controlled for six years.
- Tilden's heavy sales (during Field's absence in Europe) of "Elevated" stock, which forced the price down from 200 to 164; but Field lost much more in the great "Manhattan squeeze" of the 24th of June 1887, when Jay Gould and Russell Sage, who had been supposed to be his backers in an attempt to bring the Elevated stock to 200, forsook him, and the price fell from 1562 to 114 in half an hour.
- Quotes and a Farewell It is with sadness 80 notes the passing of doughty evolution champion and prolific essayist Stephen Jay Gould.
- Stephen Jay Gould has been the best-known exponent of this theory of " punctuated equilibrium " .Advertisement
- The first meaning refers to the financial crisis to 1869 when Jay Gould and James Fisk attempted to corner the gold market by hoarding the gold after the government was in the midst of rebuilding the United States after the Civil War.
- The property, now a National Trust Historic Site, was once the home of New York City Mayor, William Paulding, industrialist George Merritt, and railroad tycoon Jay Gould.
- Railroad mogul, Jay Gould bought the estate in 1880 as a country house and he used the house until his death in 1892.