Jamnia sentence example
- Under Johanan ben Zaccai the Pharisees established themselves at Jamnia.
- In Jabneh (Jamnia), where during the siege of Jerusalem the scribes of the school of Hillel had taken refuge by permission of Vespasian, a new centre of Judaism arose under the leadership of the aged Johanan ben Zakkai, a school whose members inherited the authority of the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem.
- Johanan obtained permission to found a college at Jamnia (Jabneh), which became the centre of Jewish culture.
- That chief literary expression of Pharisaism, the Mishnah, was the outcome of the work begun at Jamnia.
- The first seat of the sanhedrin was at Jamnia (Yebna), where the Rabbinic system began to be formulated.Advertisement
- Zakkai, founder of the seat of learning at Jamnia (Jabneh).