James monroe sentence example
- See The Writings of James Monroe (7 vols., New York, 1898-1903), edited by S.
- Hamilton; Daniel C. Gilman, James Monroe (Boston, 1883), in the " American Statesman Series "; J.
- of his Republic (Chicago, 1887); John Quincy Adams, The Lives of James Madison and James Monroe (Buffalo, 1850); B.
- No president since James Monroe had received such a vote.
- of state (1795), each of which he declined; but in 17 9 6 he succeeded James Monroe as minister to France.Advertisement
- After the gift of $500,000 by Andrew Carnegie there were established in 1909 the Andrew Carnegie School of Engineering, the James Madison School of Law, the James Monroe School of International Law, the James Wilson School of Political Economy, the Edgar Allan Poe School of English and the Walter Reed School of Pathology.
- In 1816 in the congressional caucus which nominated James Monroe for the presidency Crawford was a strong opposing candidate, a majority being at first in his favour, but when the vote was finally cast 65 were for Monroe and 54 for Crawford.
- 2 In 1786 he suggested to James Monroe that the society of friends he hoped to gather in Albemarle might, in sumptuary matters," set a good example "to a country (i.e.
- In1851-1853he was superintendent of schools at Warren, Ohio; in 1853 was admitted to the Ohio bar, being at that time an anti-slavery Whig; and in 1859 was elected to the state senate, in which with Garfield and James Monroe (1821-1898) he formed the "Radical Triumvirate," Cox himself presenting a petition for a personal liberty law and urging woman's rights, especially larger property rights to married women.
- In 1815 Monroe received its present name in honour of James Monroe.Advertisement
- He was a friend of Thomas Jefferson and of James Monroe.
- In Hollywood Cemetery (dedicated in 1849) are the graves of many famous men, including presidents James Monroe and John Tyler; Jefferson Davis, John Randolph of Roanoke, the Confederate generals, A.