James buchanan sentence example
- Marcy, who had ordered American ministers to wear a plain civilian costume), and by joining with James Buchanan and Pierre Soule, ministers to Great Britain and Spain respectively, in drawing up (Oct.
- During the following years he was engaged in a long struggle with James Buchanan for party leadership in Pennsylvania.
- For several years after his retirement from office, he devoted himself to his law practice, and in 1856 succeeded James Buchanan as United States minister to England, where he remained until relieved by Charles Francis Adams in May 1861.
- In 1853 he became corporation counsel of New York City, but resigned soon afterward to become secretary of the U.S. legation in London, under James Buchanan.
- When the Democratic national convention met at Cincinnati in June 1856, Pierce was an avowed candidate for renomination, but as his attitude on the slavery question, and especially his subserviency to the South in supporting the pro-slavery party in the Territory of Kansas, had lost him the support of the Northern wing of his party, the nomination went to James Buchanan.Advertisement
- See George Ticknor Curtis, The Life of James Buchanan (2 vols., New York, 1883), the standard biography; Curtis, however, was a close personal and political friend, and his work is too eulogistic. More trustworthy, but at times unduly severe, is the account given by James Ford Rhodes in the first two volumes of his History of the United States since the Compromise of 1850 (New York, new edition, 1902 et seq.).
- He became influential in Pennsylvania politics, and in1845-1849served in the United States Senate, being elected by a combination of Democratic, Whig and "American" votes to succeed James Buchanan.
- In the ensuing election he was defeated by James Buchanan by 174 to 114 electoral votes.
- Finding it impossible under the two-thirds rule to nominate their candidate, the followers of Van Buren brought forward Polk, who was popular in the South, in order to defeat Lewis Cass and James Buchanan.
- In forming his cabinet he secured the services of James Buchanan of Pennsylvania, as secretary of state, Robert J.Advertisement
- Very soon thereafter the first official overtures by the United States for the purchase of Russian America were made during the presidency of James Buchanan.