Jagersfontein sentence example
- Jagersfontein, 5657, is in the S.W.
- The chief diamond mines are at Jagersfontein (q.v.) and Koffyfontein.
- Valuable diamond mines were also discovered within the Free State, of which the one at Jagersfontein is the richest.
- But towards the close of 1870 stones were found at Jagersfontein and at Dutoitspan, far from the Vaal river, and led to a second great rush of prospectors, especially to Dutoitspan, and in 1871 to what is now the Kimberley mine in the neighbourhood of the latter.
- One of the best known is that of Jagersfontein, which was really the first of the dry diggings (discovered in 1870).Advertisement
- Some of the finest and largest stones have come from the Jagersfontein mine; one, the Jubilee, found in 1895, weighed 640 carats in the rough and 239 carats when cut.
- Until 1905 the largest known diamond in the world was the Excelsior, found in 1893 at Jagersfontein by a native while loading a truck.
- Jagersfontein, which occupies a pleasant situation on the open veld about 4500 ft.
- The discovery a few weeks later of the much richer mines at Bultfontein and Du Toits Pan, followed by the great finds at De Beers and Colesberg Kop (Kimberley) caused Jagersfontein to be neglected for several years.
- Up to 1887 the claims in the mine were held by a large number of individuals, but coincident with the efforts to amalgamate the interest in the Kimberley mines a similar movement took place at Jagersfontein, and by 1893 all the claims became the property of one company, which has a working arras ement with the De Beers corporation.Advertisement