Jagerndorf sentence example
- Leobschiitz existed in the 10th century, and from 1524 to 1623 was the capital of the principality of Jagerndorf.
- JAGERNDORF (Czech, Krnov), a town of Austria, in Silesia, 18 m.
- Jagerndorf has large manufactories of cloth, woollens, linen and machines, and carries on an active trade.
- On the neighbouring hill of Burgberg (1420 ft.) are a church, much visited as a place of pilgrimage, and the ruins of the seat of the former princes of Jagerndorf.
- The claim of Prussia to the principality of Jagerndorf was the occasion of the first Silesian war (1740-1742), but in the partition, which followed, Austria retained the larger portion of it.Advertisement
- Jagerndorf suffered severely during the Thirty Years' War, and was the scene of engagements between the Prussians and Austrians in May 1745 and in January 1779.
- of Prussia raised a claim to the former duchies of Liegnitz, Brieg, Jagerndorf and Wohlau.
- In the following year Frederick renewed his attack and extorted from Austria the whole of Silesia except the districts of Troppau, Teschen and Jagerndorf, the present province of Austrian Silesia.
- The cloth and woollen industries are concentrated at Bielitz, Jagerndorf and Engelsberg; linen is manufactured at Freiwaldau Freudenthal and Bennisch; cotton goods at Friedek.
- The iron industry is concentrated at Trzinietz, near Teschen, and various industrial and agricultural machines are manufactured at Troppau, Jagerndorf, Ustron and Bielitz.Advertisement
- The organs manufactured at Jagerndorf enjoy a good reputation.
- Other principal towns are: Teschen, Polnisch-Ostrau, Jagerndorf, Karwin, Freudenthal, Freiwaldau and Bennisch.