Jacinto sentence example
- (who had reached the rank of commander in 1843 and that of captain in 1855) was assigned to the command of the "San Jacinto" to search for the Confederate commerce destroyer, "Sumter."
- Houston now assumed active command and retreated before Santa Anna until he reached the San Jacinto river, where he dealt the enemy a crushing blow and brought the war to an end; nearly all of Santa Anna's army were killed, wounded or taken prisoners, and even Santa Anna himself was captured the next day, while the Texans lost only two killed and twenty-three wounded.
- During November tlfe British West India steamer "Trent" was boarded by a vessel of the Federal Navy, the "San Jacinto," and Messrs Slidell and Mason, commissioners for the Confederate States, who were on their way to England, were seized.
- Santa-Anna invaded Texas and gained some successes, but was surprised and taken prisoner at San Jacinto on the 21st of April 1836.
- Santa Anna attempted to reduce it, showing great severity, but was eventually defeated and captured by Houston at the battle of San Jacinto, and compelled to sign a treaty recognizing Texan independence, which was disavowed on his return to Mexico.Advertisement
- The anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto, the 21st of April, is annually celebrated by a "Battle of Flowers."
- On her passage home the Trent was stopped by the Federal steamer 0 San Jacinto; she was boarded, and Messrs Mason and Shidell were arrested~ There was no domfbt that the captain of the ~ San Jacinto had acted irregularly.
- In April 1836 Texas won its independence at the Battle of San Jacinto.