Irae sentence example
- It was the birthplace of Thomas of Celano, the author of the Dies Irae.
- He wrote many hymns, among them a version of "Dies Irae"; several of them, together with letters, &c., are to be found in the Life by James Brown.
- He also composed in 1255 the Legend of St Clare; and he is one of those to whom the sequence Dies irae is attributed.
- The text of the Dies Irae so imperatively demands either a very dramatic elaboration or none at all, that even in the 16th century it could not possibly be set to continuous music on the lines of the Gloria and Credo.
- He wrote excellent English versions of the Dies irae and the Stabat mater.Advertisement
- 2 The Vulgate Dies irae dies illa, whence the striking hymn by Thomas of Celano (c. 1250).