Iolcus sentence example
- By the aid of Apollo, who served him as a slave - either as a punishment for having slain the Cyclopes, or out of affection for his mortal master - he won the hand of Alcestis, the most beautiful of the daughters of Pelias, king of Iolcus.
- This circumstance deserves attention owing to the special connexion traditionally existing between the Minyans of Iolcus and those of Orchomenus, the point of all others on this side where the early Cretan influence seems most to have taken root.
- This task had been imposed on Jason by his uncle Pelias, who had usurped the throne of Iolcus in Thessaly, which rightfully belonged to Jason's father Aeson.
- In the oldest (Pindar) the "Argo" sailed along the river Phasis into the eastern Oceanus, round Asia to the south coast of Libya, thence to the mythical lake Tritonis, of ter being carried twelve days over land through Libya, and thence again to Iolcus.
- Finally, they reached Iolcus, and the "Argo" was placed in a groove sacred to Poseidon on the isthmus of Corinth.Advertisement
- Having recovered his sword he returned to Iolcus and slew Acastus and Astydameia.
- The name (more correctly Iason) means "healer," and Jason is possibly a local hero of Iolcus to whom healing powers were attributed.
- Because Tyro afterwards married her father's brother Cretheus, king of Iolcus in Thessaly, to whom she bore Aeson, Pheres and Amythaon, Pelias was by some thought to be the son of Cretheus.
- The two children were exposed by their mother, who afterwards married Cretheus, king of Iolcus in Thessaly.
- After the death of Cretheus, the boys, who had been brought up by herdsmen, quarrelled for the possession of Iolcus.Advertisement
- Having accidentally killed his father-in-law at the Calydonian boar-hunt, Peleus was again obliged to flee, this time to Iolcus, where he was purified by Acastus.