Invalides sentence example
- The Hotel des Invalides founded by Louis XIV.
- In 1875 the Invalides numbered 642, and the hOtel cost the state 1,123,053 francs.
- Even in its last phase, the Order did not forget its original purpose: it maintained several great hospitals in its new home on the south-east shore of the Baltic, in addition to an hotel des invalides at Marienburg for its sick or aged brethren.
- His remains were solemnly removed to the Invalides in 1889.
- He returned to France in 1847, and after the rise of Louis Napoleon to power, became successively governor of the Invalides, marshal of France and president of the senate.Advertisement
- These late honours he did not long enjoy; in 1695 he died whilst about to commence work on the cupola of the Invalides.
- They attacked the Hotel des Invalides and carried off all the arms which were stored there.
- On the 15th of December, the very day that Napoleon's ashes were deposited at the Invalides, he was taken to the fortress of Ham.
- When reading Moliere and Racine, Bossuet and Fnelon, the campaigns of Turenne, or Colberts ordinances; when enumerating the countless literary and ~cientific institutions of the great century; when considering the port of Brest, the Canal du Midi, Perraults cOlonnade of th~ Louvre, Mansarts Invalides and the palace of Versailles, and Vaubans fine fortificationsadmiration is kindled for the radiant splendour of Louis XIV.s period.
- In 1849 he became aide-de-camp to Prince Jerome Bonaparte, ex-king of Westphalia, then governor of the Invalides, on whose commission he wrote Memoires pour servir a l'histoire de la campagne de 1812 en Russie (1852).Advertisement
- Les Invalides – The complex of buildings is the tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte.