Ingeborg sentence example
- The pope espoused the cause of Ingeborg; but Philip did not submit until 1200, when, interdict having been added to excommunication, he consented to a separation from Agnes.
- He could not even trust his own son with any power, and was brutal in his relations with his queen, Ingeborg.
- After her death he married Ingibjorg or Ingeborg (q.v.), daughter of Valdemar I.
- However that may be, he soon repudiated this Danish princess, for whom he seems to have conceived an unconquerable aversion on the very morrow of his marriage to her, and in 1196, in defiance of the pope, who had refused to nullify his union with Ingeborg, married Agnes daughter of Bertold IV., duke of Meran.
- In 1200 he was forced to put away Agnes and to recognize Ingeborg as his lawful wife, but he kept her in prison until 1213.Advertisement
- Philips divorce from Ingeborg of Denmark, who appealed successfully to Pope Innocent III., merely delayed the inevitable conflict.
- Thanks to the ecclesiastical sanction of his royalty, Philip had successfully braved the pope for twenty years, in the matter of Ingeborg and again in that of the German schism, when he had supported Philip of Swabia against Otto of Brunswick, the popes candidate.
- In June 1196 she married Philip II., king of France, who had repudiated Ingeborg of Denmark in 1193.
- Ingeborg lived until 1236.
- Gustavus could not accept as primate an open and Eric and of the Norwegian princess Ingeborg, determined traitor like Trolle.Advertisement