Indes sentence example
- Flournoy, Des Indes a la Planete Mars (Geneva, 1900; there is an English translation published in London); Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research, passim.
- Voyage aux Indes orientales and Voyage a la Nouvelle Guine'e, severally published at Paris in 1772 and 1776.
- The MS. account of his adventures, Bref Discours des Choses plus remarquables que Samuel Champlain de Brouage a recognises aux Indes Occidentales, is in the library at Dieppe.
- In 1664 a new " Company of the West Indies " (Compagnie des Indes Occidentales) was organized to control French trade and colonization not only in Canada but also in West Africa, South America and the West Indies.
- In the prospectus of Law's great Compagnie des Indes Occidentales the cultivation of silk occupies a place among the glowing attractions which allured so many to disaster.Advertisement
- He had the assistance of various members of the philosophe coteries in his most important work, L'Histoire philosophique et politique des etablissements et du commerce des Europeens dans les deux Indes (Amsterdam, 4 vols., 1770).
- The French translation by Frontignieres is named Histoire des avanturiers qui se sont signalez dans les Indes; the English edition is entitled The Bucaniers of America.
- In France from 1599 to 1789, more than 70 of such companies came into existence, but after 1770, when the great Compagnie des Indes orientales went into liquidation, they were almost abandoned, and finally perished in the general sweeping away of privileges which followed on the outbreak, of the Revolution.