Impis sentence example
- Chaka between 1818 and 1820 ravaged the whole of what is now known as Natal, and after beating his foes in battle, butchered the women, children and old men, incorporating the young men in his impis.
- The Zulu king then commanded his impis to kill all the Boers who had entered Natal.
- He too divided the young men of his tribe into impis (regiments), and the Umtetwa became a formidable military power.
- After the victory at Isandhlwana several impis of the Zulu army had Rorke's moved to the Drift.
- About 1817 the country was invaded by the chieftain Mosilikatze and his impis, who were fleeing from the vengeance of Chaka, king of the Zulus.Advertisement