Ignorantia sentence example
- So far as regards criminal offences, the maxim as to ignorantia juris admits of no exception, even in the case of a foreigner temporarily in England, who is likely to be ignorant of English law.
- In his principal work, De docta ignorantia (1440), supplemented by De conjecturis libri duo published in the same year, he maintains that all human knowledge is mere conjecture, and that man's wisdom is to recognize his ignorance.
- If the results of the understanding go by the name of knowledge, then the higher teaching of the intellectual intuition may be called ignorance - ignorance, however, that is conscious of itself, docta ignorantia.
- A well-known legal maxim runs: ignorantia juris non excusat ("ignorance of the law does not excuse").
- With this is sometimes coupled another maxim: ignorantia facti excusat (" ignorance of the fact excuses").Advertisement
- Three polemical works require mention: Contra cujusdam anonymi Galli calumnies apologia, Contra medicum quendam invectivarum libri, and De sui ipsius et multorum ignorantia - controversial and sarcastic compositions, which grew out of Petrarch's quarrels with the physicians of Avignon and the Averroists of Padua.