Iepos sentence example
- These were introduced as a " sacred explanation" (iEpos X6yos) of the rules and prescriptions.
- The close relation of the two deities appears in a frequent community of altars and sacrifices, and also in the iepos yapos, a dramatic representation of their sacred marriage.
- The details of the iepos yapos may have varied locally, but the main idea of the ritual was the same.
- At Samos the iepos yapos was celebrated annually; the image of Hera was concealed on the sea-shore and solemnly discovered.
- There is nothing in the Samian iepos yapos to suggest a marriage of heaven and earth, or of two vegetation-spirits; as Dr Farnell points out, the ritual appears to explain the custom of human nuptials.Advertisement
- There seems no reason to doubt that Eriugena is connected with Erin, the name for Ireland, and Ierugena suggests the Greek iEpos, lepos vivos being a common name for Ireland.
- In the Eumenides of Aeschylus" the Erinyes are reproached in that by aiding Clytemnestra, who slew her husband, " they are dishonouring and bringing to naught the pledges of Zeus and Hera, the marriage-goddess "; and these were the divinities to whom sacrifice was offered before the wedding," and it may be that some kind of mimetic representation of the " Holy Marriage," the IEpos ydpos, of Zeus and Hera formed a part of the Attic nuptial ceremonies.'
- Frazer both explain Pasiphae's monstrous union as a sacred ceremony (iepos yap,os), at which the queen of Cnossus was wedded to a bull-formed god, just as the wife of the iip X wv lwnXein in Athens was wedded to Dionysus.
- This rape is supposed to point to an original iepos X6 os, an annual holy marriage of a god and goddess of vegetation.